Midwest Integrative Dentistry
IAOMT Position Paper Against Dental Mercury Amalgam
This most current statement, dated April 16, 2013, also includes the most extensive bibliography ever on the subject, with 744 references. Click to view the full document: IAOMT 2013 Position Statement
Position Statement Objectives:
(Adapted from IAOMT’s “Position statement on dental amalgam from the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology submitted to the European Commission”)1:
- To end the use of dental mercury amalgam fillings. Many other mercurial medical devices and mecury-containing substances have been removed from use, including mercurial wound disinfectants, mercurial diuretics, mercury thermometers, and mercurial veterinary substances. In this era when the public is advised to be concerned about mercury exposure through fish consumption, dental mercury amalgam fillings should also be eliminated, especially because they are the predominant source of mercury exposure in the general population.
- To assist medical professionals and patients as a whole in understanding the scope of mercury in dental mercury amalgam fillings. The risk of illness or injury associated with the use of dental mercury presents an unreasonable, direct, and substantial danger to the health of dental patients and the health of dental personnel.
- To establish the health benefits of mercury-free, mercury-safe, and biological dentistry.
- To educate dental and medical professionals, dental students, and patients about safe removal of dental mercury amalgam fillings while raising the standards of scientific biocompatibility in dental practice.
International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology
This is my favorite charity organization. I have been deeply involved with the IAOMT for 25 years becoming its 2nd president from 1988-90. In the beginning we thought that if we provided the “science” to prove that mercury was a problem for one’s health, the issue would be over. To our dismay, the ADA just ignores the science published in some of the finest research periodicals citing only theirs which is usually of questionable quality.
Though-out the website you will find information about, not only mercury dental amalgam fillings
but also other materials used in dentistry.
The mission of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) is designed with the overriding and primary objective of insuring substantial benefit to the public on a non-profit basis with respect to the investigation of the biocompatibility of oral materials and the informed use of those materials that are biologically acceptable, and to this end and within this scope, the academy shall:
- Accumulate and disseminate scientific information;
- Stimulate and promote relevant research and education;
- Undertake relevant advisory and consultative work;
- Attract and provide funding for relevant research;
- Promote education of the public, public bodies, professional organizations, and other persons and bodies with respect to scientific information;
- Investigate non-invasive scientifically sound complimentary therapies, and to foster education of the aforesaid bodies and persons with respect thereto;
- In general, promote research and education with respect to the above matters.
Visit this site for all the latest scientific and political information and news about biocompatible mercury free dental care including mercury amalgams, fluoride, root canals, bisphosphonates, etc. You can find qualified dentist to safely remove amalgams for your family and friends from this site. Note: see if they are Accredited, a Fellow or a Master. In this way you will have an idea of their qualifications in this complex area of mercury-free, mercury-safe and bio-safe dental care.
Visit the IAOMT web site for all the latest information and research: www.iaomt.org. Find here, the latest of our negotiations with the FDA and the United Nations.
The Scientific Advisory Board of the IAOMT is composed of world class professors of toxicology, pharmacology, biochemistry and medicine. They conclude that dental amalgam is not suitable for use in the human mouth. Read the entire statement athttp://www.iaomt.org/articles/files/files317/SAB%20positionpaper%207-2009.pdf.
My involvement & education with the IAOMT and other organizations...
Organization membership, service and awards:
- Charter & Life Member of the International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology (IAOMT) from 1984 to present
- IAOMT President 1988-1990
- IAOMT Board of Director from 1984 to Present
- Developed the Education program for the IAOMT
- Awarded 1st IAOMT Service Award (1994) now the “Dr. Gary Strong Memorial Award”
- Former chairman: IAOMT Standards of Care and Clinical Practice Guidelines Committee, from 1986-2011, now member
- IAOMT Program Committee member
- Awarded IAOMT Mastership in 2006 (MIAOMT) see IAOMT.ORG
- Member of the International Academy of Biological Dentistry & Medicine, from 1984
- Member Holistic Dental Association
- Member American Equilibration Society, from 1979 to now as Life Member to treat the bite & prevent head and neck pain
- Member American Academy of Cranial Facial Pain, from 1988
- Member of American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, from 2004 (treatment of obstructive sleep apnea if a C-PAP machine is not tolerated
- Alumnus L.D. Pankey Institute in 1983
- Member of the Academy of General Dentistry, 1976
- Trained in Galilieos 3D Cone Beam CT imaging and integration with Sirona digital impressions
- Implant trained by Sirona for multiple or individual computer guided replacement of missing teeth or to aid in stabilizing full or partial dentures, with 3D Galileos CT-Cone Beam imaging
- Member & Fellow of the “Institute of Advanced Laser Dentistry” Licensed and Accredited in Periodontal Laser Surgery (Periolase LANAP: “No Cut, No Sew, No Fear” for gum surgery)
- Member American Academy of Ozonetherapy (AAOT) Trained in Ozone treatment of root canals and other infections of the head and neck
- Lumineer Accredited for a permanent alternative to stained, chipped, worn and discolored natural teeth
- Trained in and uses Dental Homeopathy from 1984 to minimize the use of drugs